Sunday, June 5, 2011

Crisis of the 52 Titles


Earlier this week DC Comics announced that they will be rebooting the franchise once the Flashpoint event wraps up. Now I didn't really want to talk about this reboot since I was really ticked off by it when they announced it, but then the idea started to grow on me. There is a lot for exciting change and new stories. Now I realized this wont change the fact that stories are being written for trades, but I feel we could actually see stories having meaning and consequence, which means no more event and then its Tuesday. This could be the dawning of a brand new day in DC Comics (I mean no implications by saying "brand new day" I don't even really read Spider-man, but I'm going to be giving it a try) one where the actions of say Blackest Nights was felt for years in the comic universe instead of barely mentioned in its spin off. Plus we get to see tweaked or even all new origins for some of our favorite characters, but please no more Thomas Wayne as Batman after Flashpoint.


After seeing the title s that DC has announced so far I'm have to say that I am excited for majority of them, there are some that I just don't care for the character but are interested in the team making it. How can you go wrong with the teams on; Justice League, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Firestorm, Hawkman, Green Arrow, Justice League International, Mister Terrific, Captain Atom, DC Universe Presents, Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, Green Lantern: The New Guardians, and Red Lanterns.


So come on we can all think of the terrible things to happen with this reboot, but lets look to the positive. Where would comic books be today if DC didn't do its reboot with Crisis on Infinite Earths? Where would comic books be if Marvel didn't make events like Civil War or Secret Invasion has consequence? Lets look forward to the bright future of comic books we have coming before us in September, and if it ends up being terrible we could always see DC just saying these were the events on Earth- give a random number between 2 and 52.

No comments:

Post a Comment