Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Top 5 Comics (September 5, 2012)

So it's Wednesday September 5, 2012 and you know what that means, right? Yep that means I'm back in school, which means for at least a bit I might have the time and focus to update this blog more regularly, but that's not what you're here for. You are here for this weeks top 5 comics. This week is heavy in DC titles as it is also the start of their Zero Issue month.

5. Dial H # 0 (DC Comics): This issue is the story of one of the earlier dial users... back when it was a sun dial instead of a rotary phone dial. It would take for days for the operator to dial the letters since it could only be moved once a day at noon. This has been one of my favorite titles of the second wave of DC comics, and it is proving itself to be right up there with the great titles like Animal Man & Swamp Thing (that also come out today).

4. Creator Owned Heroes #4 (Image Comics): I've been wanting to talk about this title for four months now. It's an interesting take on the idea of a comic book magazine, and one of the better reads you will get for your dollar (right now you can pick up the first issue for free over on Comixology if you want to check it out from the beginning). You get two comic stories from two great creative teams as well as articles and interviews with other influential comic creators. Check this title out. I personally buy 2 copies of this a month just to support it.

3. Green Lantern #0 (DC Comics): This issue the issue that we get introduced to the new Green Lantern Baz, an Arab-American Green Lantern. On my twitter I've spoken out against the nationality of this character to an insane degree, I just don't get why almost every character in DC has to be American. Why couldn't Baz just be Arab? As a member of DC's international audience I would like to see more of a presence of the world besides for the U.S.A. This is also the last issue of Green Lantern I will be getting for awhile, since I have found my self enjoying the writing of Geoff Johns less and less and it has gotten to the point where I do not feel like spending my money on titles I do not enjoy.

2. The Phantom Stranger #0 (DC Comics): Dan DiDio's new title bringing back a character that seems to have something to do with the Trinity War event of next year. I'm just hoping that this is somewhere near as enjoyable as Mr. DiDio's last title (OMAC). This is also the first issue of the Third Wave to come out, so let's see if this hits us like tsunami, or just splashes our feet with with waiting for the rising tide of a DC event (that was a weird metaphor).

1. Smallville Season 11 #5 (DC Comics): This is the start of episode 2 of Smallville Season 11, and we see the introduction of the Dark Knight into the Smallville universe. What will happen when the caped crusader runs into the man of steel? Read and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment