Thursday, December 27, 2012

2012 Recap: Top 5 Titles of 2012

So the year is coming to an end and it time to look back over the year and see what new released titles of 2012 I really enjoyed. So lets start this off with...

5. Batman, Incorporated (DC Comics): Now this is kind of a cheat, and we wont see it on many best of lists for the year because it is the second volume of Grant Morrison's Batman, Incorporated work. I know I have said this time and time again, but I'm a big fan of Mr. Morrison's work (especially with Batman), and if I was doing a top 10 list we would see his dive into creator owned with with Image's Happy. This Batman title is continuing with a lot of what he did back in the pre-New 52 relaunch. The inclusion Chris Burnham art has just made the title ten times better. It's great and I can't wait to see this collected with the first volume of it.

4. Thor God of Thunder (Marvel): This isn't a title I've talked a lot about on here, but it is one of the most amazing and well plotted titles of Marvel NOW. The idea of watching Thor from three points in time (youth, present, and all father Thor) just strikes a cord with me. How will the events with the Butcher lead to Thor being the last in Asgard? Jason Aaron over the last 2 years has become one of my favourite comic book writers, and here he is bound to deliver an amazing story.

3. The Manhattan Project (Image): 2012 was the year of Image. They just knocked it out of the park with their twentieth anniversary of the creator owned publisher and some of the most amazing titles to come out in years. One of the titles being The Manhattan Project by Jonathan Hickman, an alternate history of the Cold War arms race is giving us an amazing story with aliens, cyborgs, alternate earths, and so much more. This is a must read title.

2. Avengers (Marvel): So far we have only seen two issues of this title, but both of them were just amazing. I am more placing this title here for the potential it has with Johnathan Hickman helming the title, and after seeing the expansiveness that he gave us in Fantastic Four and FF as well as his work over at Image this is going to be a title to watch in 2013 as it is bound to give us some amazing story telling.

1 Saga (Image): I've already spoken on 2012 being the year of Image, and that just is made more clear by the amazing title that is Saga. I really don't know how to put in words how great the BKV space Romeo and Juliet story has been., and it is just complimented by the beautiful Fiona Staples art. I've said this so many times before, but get your eyes reading this asap. This wasn't even a title I was going to read originally, but I tried it and I was hooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment