Monday, December 31, 2012

2012 Recap: Top 5 movies of 2012

Like everything on this site it is my opinion so don't be mad if any movie on this list isn't the same as your list.

5. Cloud Atlas: Just an amazing film combining 6 different genres into one fantastic film that crosses time, gender, and race. With a handful of key cast members that keep the movie pulled together. It's a 3 hour movie, and for me, the first hour I was left wondering what's going on, second hour was 'okay, I get whats going on, but how does this all connect?', and the final hour of the film I was left thinking 'wow they made this work. This is just freaking amazing. Bravo!'

4.Moonrise Kingdom: Now I'm a sucker for Wes Anderson films, and this one is no exception. It is an adorable story that makes you feel like a kid in love for the first time again. Adorable, quirky, and full of heart. A must see, and easily one of my top Wes Anderson films too.

3. The Dark Knight Rises: Now I know that some critics are saying that this isn't a good movie, and that I say "you're effing crazy!". The Dark Knight Rises is a compelling conclusion to the Nolan Batman trilogy that ties in aspect from all the films and brings in the most continuity from the comics that we have seen thus far in the Batman movies. Further it was a great coming home story that bring Bruce Wayne's life full circle. Very few expected to see this movie do better than The Dark Knight (and from a box office stand point it didn't) but from a story aspect it did. At no point in my multiple views of this film did I ever think that the movie was 45 minutes too long, a complaint I have found to be quite common with The Dark Knight.

2. Dredd 3D: This has to be the first 3D movie I have ever enjoyed having seen it in 3D. This was a movie that made me go out and get the collected editions of Dredd just so I could get more of the character. Honestly this was a balls out amazing action film that is only surpassed by one other movie this year. As well as being an amazing action movie it has decent story, and has to be the best comic book adaptation this year.

1. Django Unchained: This has to be my top movie of the year. With over the top action and violence and taking on the subject matter of pre-cival war slavery issues in the south done with humour and humanization of all the characters I say bravo Quentin Tarantino. They casting was amazing and calls for multiple Oscar nominations for the lead cast. This was a movie that knocked it out of the park and everyone should see.

No comments:

Post a Comment